On the left is the Hotel St. Mark, for which ground was broken in 1904, one of the original buildings in Venice. The hotel, which took up about a block of the originally two-block-long town, was demolished in 1964. Venice once stretched only from the lagoon (at the later traffic circle at Windward and Main) to the Abbot Kinney Pier. The number F 211 is on the divided back of the card, along with the Southern Pacific Railroad promotional message "On the Road of a thousand wonders." The approximate date is 1910.