Nile-Land was a term coined by the Imperial Valley Farm Lands Association to be reminiscent of land bordering the River Nile. In the succeeding years the nearby town changed its name from Hobgood to Niland. A short paragraph on the back by the California Land & Water Company in Los Angeles refers to 47,000 acres at the north end of the Valley" that "have been opened by coming of irrigation." Those 47,000 acres of "improved land with water" or "unimproved land with water" were for sale in 1920 by the Imperial Valley Farm Lands Association. The number on the back of the card is A-42335, which, according to the guide maintained by the Curt Teich Postcard Archives, refers to postcards made in 1913.