This rock, described by Jeannine Pederson in her book "Catalina Island" as a "popular attraction for boat and fishing tours of the island," "fell in the early 1900s." The original black-and-white photograph was taken around 1905, with a "yachting party in the schooner Fleetwing in the water in the background," according to data from the University of Southern California's California Historical Society Collection. The back of the card is divided, indicating that it was probably published after March 1, 1907, but only a return address is allowed on the back with the message, so it was probably manufactured shortly after the change in postal regulations. The publisher's number in the left lower corner is 4403. E. M. Brickey created the original, uncolored photograph.