Construction was begun on the Hotel St. Catherine in 1917 to replace the Metropole in Avalon, destroyed by a fire in 1915. By 1918 it was open for business, but when the island was bought by William Wrigley, Jr., in 1919, a series of upgrades were made to the hotel, ending in the early 1920s. The publisher's number in the top border is C 15. Although there is no attribution, there is a number in the middle at the top of the back, a typical place and style for a number belonging to publisher, printer and creator Curt Teich. According to the Curt Teich Postcard Archives dating guide, A-91772 represents the year 1922.