The Hotel St. Catherine is in Descanso Bay, Santa Catalina (in English St. Catherine). Descanso Bay is the next bay north of Avalon Bay. Construction was begun on the Hotel St. Catherine in 1917 to replace the Metropole, destroyed by a catastrophic fire in Avalon in 1915. This was the main hotel on Catalina Island until Avalon was rebuilt. The number in the bottom right corner, 91797, is in a typical place and style belonging to Curt Teich, and according to the guide maintained by the Curt Teich Postcard Archives, it represents 1922. The publisher's number in the top border is C 15.