Passengers disembark from a steamship on a dock in Avalon on Santa Catalina Island. The steamship pictured here was launched in 1924 by then owner of Catalina Island William Wrigley, Jr. From then until 1975, it ferried about 25 million passengers between Avalon on Santa Catalina Island and Los Angeles. According to the Steamship Historical Society of America, the Catalina carried more passengers than any other vessel. During World War II it acted as a troopship and carried more than any military transport. Despite efforts to preserve the ship as a museum, it was scrapped in 2009. This image is a portion of a continuous set of images in a 34-inch-long foldout postcard. Two numbers appear on this card: D-294 and 37775. The first belongs to Curt Teich, and the second to the publisher. According to the guide maintained by the Curt Teich Postcard Archives, D-294 represents the year 1929.