David Gochenauer is given credit for founding the Agnew Hospital and Sanitarium on the northeast corner of Beech at Fifth Avenue. The training school for nurses that was started at a private residence there in 1900 was the first in San Diego. On June 9, 1906, the cornerstone was laid of the new building shown on this picture postcard. The establishment as advertised in the 1907 City and County Directory of San Diego looks like this illustration. In another 1907 publication, the Railway and Tourist Free Guide to San Diego, 2nd edition, the facilities were described as including "roof gardens and large porches for outdoor patients." The postcard also looks like the 1914 photograph incorporated into the Journal of San Diego History for Fall 2002, Vol. 48, No. 4 article "First Annual Report of the Board of Health ..." On the back of the card is a seal of the Panama-California Exposition of 1915, along with the Benham Co. logo. The publisher, whose number on the back is 2570, only operated from 1910-1915. The approximate date is 1914.