The George White (1850-1946) and Anna Gunn (1853-1940) Marston House was built by the couple in 1905 using architectural plans by William Hebbard (1863-1930) and Irving Gill (1870-1936). A photograph in possession of the San Diego History Center shows the same house as in this photograph from the same angle, in 1905 before landscaping had been accomplished. The style of this postcard is that of the Real Photo postcard (RPPC), a process by which an amateur or professional photographer can take a "snapshot," as photographs were sometimes called at the time, and have it developed using special printout paper, directly onto pre-printed postcards for mailing. By 1910, photographs of this type had not always enlarged to fill the card, since until 1907 postal regulations forbade any writing on the "undivided back" of the postcard except for the address. Although this card has the "divided back" and special message space of the later cards, the writer filled the space on this side as well with a short message. On the other side, the further message is signed by "A. L. Marston."