This sepia-tone picture postcard of an interior of Villa Montezuma is one of a series of cards showing different parts of the restored building. The Villa is a Queen Anne-style house that was home to San Diego musician Jesse Shepard (1848-1927) at 20th Avenue and K Street. Designed by architectural film Comstock and Trotsche from Shepard's ideas, it was built in 1887, in the midst of the culture of "The Golden Era" circle, a group of poets, painters, and musicians who settled in San Diego and published The Golden Era literary magazine. The building was purchased by San Diego Historical Society and designated an Historic Site of the City of San Diego in 1970. In 1971, restoration began and the site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1972 it was opened to the public, but a fire destroyed much of the villa in 1986, necessitating the closure of the historic house. It was once again restored, rededicated, and reopened in 1987. This particular view is described on the postcard back as follows: "Dining room features art glass windows, late Victorian silver, walls of walnut and diagonal redwood paneling."