On the horizon from the right is Point Loma, and in the middle of the visible San Diego Bay are the North and South Islands that were joined in 1943, making up the whole of Coronado "Island" (connected to the mainland by a "Silver Strand" of narrow beach). This picture postcard appears to be manufactured from a photograph taken from the U.S. Grant Hotel. In the immediate foreground is Horton Plaza, built to accommodate visitors to the hotel, which was erected in 1910 in anticipation of the Panama-California Exposition of 1915. The expansive street from right bottom to San Diego Bay is D Street, later Broadway. The streetcars on D appear to be operating without wires because streetcar superstructure was routinely removed from enhanced postcards.