Saint Joseph's Cathedral was built on the same site as the old St. Joseph's Church in San Diego, near Balboa Park. The land was donated by Alonzo Horton (1813-1909) as he started building San Diego's "New Town" (aka "Horton's Addition") and the original church was dedicated in 1875. A larger brick church (see PC-000-594, PC-000-595, and PC-000-596) was built in 1894. The building depicted here was dedicated in 1941 after the Diocese of San Diego had split off from the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. It was restored in 2011.