Hand-colored image of Cabrillo Bridge (Puente de Cabrillo), built for the Panama-California International Exposition of 1915, carrying traffic on El Prado street into Balboa Park at the west entrance. Its designers were Frank Phillips Allen, Jr. (1881-1943), and Thomas B. Hunter, with construction and opening in 1914. At the eastern edge of the bridge (just right of center), the California State Building, later known as the Palace of Science, was designed by Bertram Goodhue (1869-1924), includes the California Tower and the California Building (of which the dome can be seen on the left of the California Tower), later known as the San Diego Museum of Us. Under the bridge is the pond that was also constructed for the Exposition, held in San Diego's Balboa Park to celebrate the completion of the Panama Canal. Along the northern edge of the pond is the road that became California State Highway 163.